Friday, November 11, 2016

Training Blog October 1 to November 6, 2016

Monday off still playing it safe with the soreness in the glute/pelvis area did a lot of stretching and body weight exercises as well as some squats

Tuesday PM 4 miles on roads with Uta, pelvis seemed fine, 26:42, squats after tot. 4

Wednesday AM 4 miles with Uta, 30:12 tot. 4
                     PM treatment, acupuncture and massage

Thursday AM 4 miles with Uta, 29:56 tot. 4
                  PM 4 miles with Uta, 25:56, squats after tot. 4

Friday AM 4 miles with Uta, 28:30, tot. 4
             PM 4 miles with Uta, 24:51, squats after, tot. 4

Saturday AM Bikram yoga 90mins
                 PM 5.1 miles with Uta, 31:16, vermont loop, tot. 5.1

Sunday AM at Franklin Park, Melissa was racing, 3+ easy 22:35, some light drills, first mile of the xc course at tempo effort, 5:07.3 almost exactly what the women's winner ran for her first mile, mile cool down. After that I ran about 2 miles of running around the course while Melissa raced and doing her cool down with her tot. 7

Summary well that was a lost week.  I did the tempo Sunday so I would feel like I had done something other than slog around.  At least the hip/pelvis seems to be ok and I can start getting rolling again next week.  Hopefully do something close to matching last week and then increase from there.  On the plus side my latest round of exercises and drills has finally unlocked my ankles which has massively reduced my daily pain quotient.  My right ankle has been very unpleasant for the last few years with tendonitis I just couldn't seem to shake and it is 99% gone now, which is pretty amazing.  Also on both sides I'm able to to push off my big toe when running and walking which I haven't been able to do in years.  Certainly this is good for my speed and efficiency and hopefully it will be good for my coordination.
  I greatly increase the quantity of my squatting to build the muscle density in my pelvis and improve my rear chain firing pattern.  On Sunday I built a plyo-box so I can do box jumps at home as well for the same reasons and to continue the process of the rebirth of my ankles.  Also after that, maybe not for a couple weeks, I'll need to increase my dead lifts to balance the squats and also help with bone density.   It is crazy given my mileage history that I am doing stuff to dense up my bones most of which would take a truck to break them but I did get a stress fracture and I don't want that to become a regular thing.
  Hope your running is going better than mine.

  Hey if it's good enough for Paula it's good enough for me…



4 comments:

Rob Burham said...

Hi Nate,

I am having similar ankle/chilles issues ..... how have you managed to overcome this block? Deep squats (un-wieghted) seem to be encouraging toe-off, not sure why. Any tips would be welcome.

rob

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

I'm guessing that the deep squats are helping you fire your gluteus and that is helping your ankle. make sure to be pushing for knees out as you drive through your heels on the squats to get the max out of these. I'll try to make a video or find a video of the sideways walking and side ways skipping drills that I have been doing which have made a night and day difference for my ankles and my toe off.
-Nate

Matthew TK Brooks said...

Rob - thank you for asking that. I am having same issues as well.
Nate - I look forward to any videos you have. Also, have any of your therapists suggested putting a ball/yoga ball between your knees while doing the squats?

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

Matthew- I have seen/heard that suggestion. I actually do something in the other direction. In my warm up I do squats with no weight with a band around my knees that I push very hard out on. When I squat with weight I still focus on pushing the knees out as I go down and as I drive up. This is engaging the glutes and keeping the firing pattern appropriate. I don't know what the focus of the ball is. I'm sure there is a reason to have people do it. I just haven't done it so I can't speak to it. My guess would be that like me with the Rubber band it is to correct a specific problem. I just don't know what it is.
-Nate